Ranveer Singh of BBB fame is a workaholic


The runaway success of Band Baaja Baaraat has turned Bollywood’s latest heartthrob Ranveer Singh into a workaholic. A self-confessed former “lukha,” Ranveer says he has finally discovered the joys of hard work. He is so into the work mode at the moment that he didn’t even celebrate the success of his super hit debut. “I really got busy post the movie release, though Adi (Aditya Chopra) did promise me a success party.” He says he is still waiting for that soiree to happen. Ranveer doesn’t mind working hard anymore as he says he is enjoying having his hands full with movies.
Apart from a busy diary, success has also brought him a stunning adviser in the form of co-star Anushka Sharma. When asked if he is dating her, he says, “No,” but they are close as he says she is teaching him how to balance his personal and professional life. Anushka also taught him the importance of owning a BlackBerry. Before Bollywood happened he didn’t even own a cell phone!
“I was never a fan of mobiles. In fact, when I met Anushka for the first time, I saw she was busy on her BB. Now I have realised how important it is to communicate and be in touch.”
Going by the number of producers and directors ringing him up to talk shop, one can’t blame Ranveer for not letting go of his mobile now, but things were not always like this.
After going to the US to study acting, he entered Bollywood as Shaad Ali’s assistant director. “I assisted Shaad on a few commercials. My next step was to prepare a portfolio and start promoting myself. I used to ambush people with emails and portfolios in the hunt to land a role. This experience of a struggler has taught me how to value what I have achieved and stay grounded.”
The actor also reveals his brush with the casting couch. “I have had the misfortune of experiencing it. I was asked to meet a homosexual gentleman for a role. The meeting was set in a very dingy place. When I went there, the man began asking me a few odd questions. Throughout the meeting he expected me to do something, but I just answered his questions though I felt like punching his face. I kept telling myself, if I ever land myself the role of a sleazy homosexual, my homework will be done!” Fortunately he only had to suffer a few questions because the man got irritated and ended the “meeting” after realising that the actor was in no mood to give in.
Luckily, his days of tolerating shady people are over. These days it’s all about reading scripts by talented professionals. People offering him roles similar to his character Bittu Sharma in BBB are turned down, as he says, “I have done it once and want to experiment with different roles.”
Though a newcomer, Ranveer has managed to master the trade quite well. He concentrates on scripts, while his management team handles the finances and negotiations.
Ranveer might not want to do a Bittu Sharma, but doesn’t mind romancing Anushka again as his next movie Ladies vs Ricky Bahl is opposite her. Talking about the role he says, “Ricky is a con man devoid of emotions. I am looking forward to this film.”
What about spending time with Anushka? “She is lots of fun to work with,” is all that he says. Apart from Anushka any other actress he wants to work with? “Rani Mukherji, because she is a great actress and I can learn from her. I would love to work with Kareena too as I have a crush on her.”

Total Pageviews